Important notice before you change Linksys router DNS settings
- We recommend you to take note of your current Linksys router DNS settings before you start using KeepSolid SmartDNS server addresses. You’ll need this information for future reference, in case you want to revert to the original settings in the future.
- To unblock streaming services with our KeepSolid SmartDNS app, you have to register your IP address. Check out how to manage your IP address in the KeepSolid SmartDNS App and your KeepSolid User Office here.
Linksys wireless router setup with KeepSolid SmartDNS
Setting up Linksys router with KeepSolid SmartDNS is quite easy. All you need to do is just change your Linksys router DNS settings. Here are the few simple steps you need to follow:
- Access your Linksys router Admin Panel, which is usually available by the address http://192.168.1.1. If the link doesn’t work for you, check out your router manual.
- Login to your router. If you haven’t set a new username and password, the default ones will most probably be admin/admin.
- Proceed to Basic Setup.
- Enable DHCP should be selected.
- In the DNS server fields of your Linksys router, enter the addresses of KeepSolid SmartDNS servers:
- Save the new settings.
- Reboot your device for the changes of Linksys router settings to come into force.
Note: Access to KeepSolid SmartDNS service is provided basing on your registered IP address. In case the IP address changes, our service will stop working for you. To get everything up and running again, make sure to update the registered IP address via your User Office or KeepSolid SmartDNS app.
How to block Google DNS on Linksys router
We recommend you to block Google DNS (18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124) on your Linksys router, as some apps on certain devices are set to use Google DNS by default. So in order to stream media without geo-restrictions, follow the below steps to block Google DNS:
- First of all, make sure your Linksys router is configured with KeepSolid SmartDNS (follow the instruction above).
- Take note of your router’s IP address. For this, check the browser's address bar when in the router admin panel.
- Proceed to Advanced Routing of your Linksys router.
- Under the Router Name, enter dnsblock.
- Fill out the fields as follows:
Set Destination IP to: 126.96.36.199
Subnet Mask on all rows: 255.255.255.255
Gateway: Enter the IP from step 2 of this instruction.
- Click Save and Apply.
- Repeat the above steps for the second DNS (188.8.131.52).
Note: If you get an error "invalid static route" or "The specified gateway IP address is not valid", try changing the last digit of the gateway IP.